An Interview with Middleton High School Identical Twins

Sarah Larsen

Monozygotic twins (commonly referred to as “identical twins”) share all of their genes and are always born the same sex, but apart from the concrete definition, what is being an identical twin actually like? How do identical twins really feel about their similarities? What are their differences? Two sets of twins here at Middleton High School share their take on some of these questions.

Ellen and Norah Kwon (Freshmen)

Ellen and Norah recently got a new puppy, who is featured at the bottom of the photo. (Ellen and Norah Kwon)

1. How alike would you say you guys look from your view, from 1 being nothing alike and 10 being exactly alike?

Norah: “Seven, I guess I would say seven.  Actually, like a six.”

Ellen: “A five.”

2. Any physical trait differences? How would one tell you apart?

Ellen: “I have a rounder face. I am also shorter.”

Norah: “I have bangs or different hair.”

3. What are your personality differences? Would someone be able to tell a difference in your tone or expression?

Norah: “Ellen is more sensitive. Ellen also has more of a temper. I also feel like Ellen is easier to click with. I am also more introverted and smarter than Ellen. Ellen is more creative than me, though.”

Ellen: “I have a more of a temper and Norah is nicer.  I am more clueless and straightforward than Norah. I think I’m more talented.”

4. How well do you both get along on a scale of one to ten, with one being not very well, and ten being very well? 

Ellen: “Five.”

Norah: “It depends, some days it’s like one and other days it can be like a nine or ten.”

5. How often do people get you mixed up? Does it offend you?

Norah: “New people mix us up almost every single time. But family and close friends don’t really mix us up. It doesn’t really offend me – if someone were to call me Ellen I would still respond.”

Ellen: “Everyday, everyone gets us mixed up. Depending on the situation, sometimes I get offended.”

6. Any advantages to being identical? Disadvantages?

Ellen: “Homework answers, having a partner in everything, teachers like us better, positive assumptions.”

Norah: “Partner activities. I guess if you’re in a room full of strangers, you don’t feel awkward. I don’t like birthdays and the constant comparison.”

7. How do you react to being compared, like people saying names in a certain order? 

Norah: “I don’t like it. I know there are things that I am better at but I don’t like hearing about how Ellen does this or that. We are not each other’s responsibilities. A lot of people expect us to be the same.”

Ellen: “I hate it.”

8. Do you enjoy being identical twins?

Ellen: “Yes.” 

Norah: “No! I’d rather have Ellen as my younger sister.” 

Reya and Nuha Khatri (Freshmen)

Nuha: “My answer would be 6.5.”

Reya: “Oh my gosh, that’s what I was gonna say!”

Reya: “I have a more circular face.”

Nuha: “I have a birthmark on my neck that Reya doesn’t have, and I have a more narrow face.”

Nuha:  “There’s a lot. I’m a little hesitant to try new things, and I rely on Reya to do them first. I am also a little more quiet compared to her. I’m less patient.” 

Reya: “I feel like I am more outspoken and more energetic and loud. I voice more opinions… whereas she is more silent about them.”

Reya: “On a scale of one to ten, I would say we get along as well as a 9.5. When we have disagreements, they would have to be very big.”

Nuha: “I’d say nine. We get along really well and she’s like my best friend. …Some of our disagreements ary very petty, but we laugh about it later.”

Nuha: “People get us mixed up very often, especially when they are new. People think of us as Reya and Nuha together. If people do it on purpose, it offends me because I am my own person, but I understand if it’s an honest mistake.” 

Reya: “On a weekly basis, people get my name wrong. It does offend me when it’s on purpose, and I understand if it’s an honest mistake. I feel like if we can learn people’s names, they can learn ours.” 

Reya: “Yes. Nuha can be sick one day and can’t go to school. I can take her place. It is especially easy when we had our masks on. I also like always having my best friend with me.”

Nuha: “Advantages are taking each other’s places. We did it in kindergarten. Any disadvantages – being thought of as one person. I also know that Reya will always be there for me, and she is my best friend.”

7. How do you react to being compared? 

Nuha: “I mean, it used to happen a lot when we were younger, and it was really frustrating. No one saw me as me and Reya as Reya. But as we have been growing up people understand us better.” 

Reya: “I believe that I’m my own person. Physically we are the same but mentally we aren’t and I see it as negative.”

8. Would you say that sibling rivalry is stronger between twins?

Reya: “I feel like it’s not as strong. There is no age difference so no one has more or less power.”

Nuha: “I feel like every pair of siblings has, but we are the same age so it’s not as strong.” 

9. Do you enjoy being identical twins?

Nuha: “Yes I do.”

Reya: “I love it, it’s awesome, best experience!”

Just like all siblings, being identical twins has its advantages and disadvantages. Everyone messes up names and little things such as that, but please, do try to get their names right.