5 Do’s and Don’ts of School Dances

Wikimedia Commons: Dobie News

School dances are a staple of most American high school experiences, and for many, these are the most important times of their high school career, so it’s important not to ruin the night for others and to understand dance etiquette.

Mary Beth Johnson

In high school, some of the most important social events are the school dances. Homecoming, TWIRP (the GO Dance), and prom are the biggest nights of the year for many students, but there are certain expectations that come along with attending these dances. Here are a few tips from seniors that will help you and your friends have a more enjoyable school dance experience.

1. Don’t Just Stand Around

Whether you want to dance or not, you may feel embarrassed about busting a move in front of your fellow classmates, but  there is no need for that! The whole point of a school dance is to do exactly that, so take advantage of it and dance like no one’s watching. Being the first one to start dancing may feel awkward at first, but someone has to get the party started. 

1. Do Charge Your Phone Beforehand

There are going to be lots of photo-worthy moments, texts about plans, and so many other unexpected things you will need your phone for at a dance so it is always a good idea to have it at least 50 percent charged and on you at all times, especially in case of an emergency. It is also a great idea to communicate with parents/friends about plans for before and after the dance!

1. Don’t Make a Song Suggestion, the DJ Won’t Listen

Almost every dance has the same playlist, with a few rotating exceptions, so don’t get your hopes up about a certain song being played unless you ARE the DJ. For example, I am 100 percent sure “Fergalicious” isn’t being requested every single dance, but it is always guaranteed to play at least once. Making light of these things and letting them go is the best way to have a good time. 

1. Do Go With Friends!

Don’t feel bad if you don’t get asked to the dance by your crush because, often, going with friends is a lot more fun. From taking couples pictures to slow dancing with someone who has two left feet, taking a date can be extremely awkward and make the whole night less fun. On the other hand, if you do take a date, try to plan to spend the night after the dance with friends so that you can have somewhat of an “afterparty” with your besties!

1. Don’t Do Anything Illegal

Last but certainly not least, don’t try to sneak things into the dance or pregame beforehand. You will definitely get caught, and it’s just not worth it. Also, you don’t need anything illegal to have fun at a school dance, and if you do, then you might just want to stay home! It’s so much better to be safe than sorry, so if you are going to do anything on the borderline, make sure you save it for after the dance and alert your close friends or parents of your plans. 

I hope some of this advice resonates, as preachy as it may be. Don’t take yourself so seriously at school dances, stay safe, and have fun!