Dr. Dana Monogue: The New Face of MCPASD

Lifetouch Inc.

Dr. Monogue is set to start as the new superintendent of MCPASD in the fall of 2019. She hopes to connect with students through authenticity and encouragement of what matters to the community.

Alexa Williams

Compared to a teacher, a coach, or a dean of students, the superintendent is not a job that is typically associated with student connection. Dana Monogue is looking to change that.

On November 7, 2018, Dr. George Mavroulis, the current superintendent of the Middleton-Cross Plains Area School District (MCPASD) declared his decision to leave the district. On June 30, 2019, he is set to retire. Dr. Dana Monogue, who is currently finishing her term as the Assistant Superintendent of the District of Elmbrook in Brookfield, Wisconsin, will be the new superintendent.

Dr. Monogue has worked in Wisconsin schools for 25 years, and she is honored to join MCPASD.

“Everyone that works here is incredibly student-focused, positive, and happy. I really want to work for and with people who approach their work with joy and love in their hearts,” she said when asked what she was most looking forward to in her new position.

Dr. Monogue noted the high achievement of MCPASD, but what she commended most is its commitment to diversity and equal opportunity.

As the new superintendent-incumbent, Dr. Monogue “wants to see all kids thrive and succeed,” and provide “many pathways for kids to connect and find their purpose in life.”

In her first year, Dr. Monogue’s main priority will be to listen. She plans to be an active and observant member of the community.

“It’s getting to know people [and] asking good questions so that we continue to prioritize and put resources where needed,” said Dr. Monogue.

Middleton is a diverse and progressive community, but Dr. Monogue knows there is still work to be done.

“Equity is the most important thing to me. I want to make sure all students find amazing success here and are supported and loved and nurtured.”

Equity is not always tangible, but Dr. Monogue is committed to making it a reality.

“We need terrifically talented and passionate teachers to work in our schools. We need to continue to diversify our workforce,” said Dr. Monogue.

Middleton is a diverse community consisting of people of all religions, ethnicities, genders, and sexual orientations, and Dr. Monogue advocates for a staff that reflects the student body. One potential way to do this is by instituting a ‘Grow Our Own’ program, which seeks to identify talented individuals and provide them scholarships to finish college and become teachers. The ultimate goal of this program is a diversified workforce. With a teenage daughter of her own – who will be joining Middleton High School as a sophomore next year – Dr. Monogue recognizes students as her priority.

During the hiring process for superintendent, her favorite part was meeting with a panel of 25 students at Clark Street Community School and hearing about what they want to see in their schools.

“I like working with high school kids,” said Dr. Monogue. “They say what they think.”

Accessibility is paramount to Dr. Monogue, and she plans to use interaction with students as a major tool.

“I will continue to elevate student voice in everything that we do,” said Dr. Monogue. “Everything is made better when kids are involved.”

Above all, Dr. Monogue wants students to know that their well-being and success is her top priority.

“They [students] will see me. I will be going to all the athletic events, music concerts, and student activities.”

There is a lot to celebrate and a lot to work on, and Dr. Monogue looks to constructive feedback as a vital tool for change.

“I will be the biggest cheerleader and advocate for students. I will stand up for kids . . . Your [students] voices matter.”