MHS Relay for Life Organizes Coaches Vs. Cancer Games

Madi La Crosse

The MHS Girls basketball team warming up at the Coaches vs. Cancer game, organized by MHS Relay for Life, on January 31, 2020.

Madison La Crosse

In the past month, MHS Relay For Life, a student club at Middleton High School, has held multiple fundraisers at school sporting events. Two such events happened at the boys’ and girls’ basketball games on January 31 and February 8. The club raised money by selling T-shirts, bracelets, and ribbons, as well as collecting donations at half time.

Maeve Gonter, a member of the Relay For Life Board, explains that “Relay for Life is a part of the American Cancer Society which is an organization dedicated to making the lives of cancer patients and their families better whether that’s providing services, transport to appointments, places to stay, helping with medical bills or funding research. The point is to create a cancer-free world.” 

The club organizes many events; however, their largest one is the Relay for Life. Over the past three years, the club has managed to raise around $50,000, all of which has all gone directly to the American Cancer Society. During the Coaches Vs. Cancer event at the girls’ game alone, they managed to raise $1,400. These games were especially important to the club because two MHS athletics staff members this year are battling the disease. 

Students are highly encouraged to get involved with the club. The Relay For Life event hopes to bring people in our community together, who have been affected by cancer in some way, to celebrate and honor, as well as remember, loved ones who have fought the disease. 

The event will take place on April 25 and will include activities such as a soccer tournament, a Zumba class, a scavenger hunt, a bouncy castle, and live music. Students can sign up for the event during lunch, starting in March and early April. You can find more information and updates regarding MHS Relay for Life on their Instagram page: @relayforlifemhs.